What does Sure provide?
Sure provides you with a broadband service over copper or fibre lines that are owned by Jersey Telecom in Jersey but billed to you by us, usually at reduced rates. JT are responsible for making sure the line is fit for purpose from the exchange to your property, but we will contact them on your behalf if you have a fault.
With copper lines, the speed you can achieve depends on the length of the line, fibre is not affected by line length.
Other factors that can affect speed are the age and power of your router/computer, wiring in the home and amount of devices trying to connect at the same time.
Sure can provided a pre-configured router to all our customers if they need one. We have various routers starting at £48 for standard unlimited broadband.
Customers that JT are switching from copper to fibre will be provided with a new router free of charge.
What support does Sure provide?
If you have problems Sure can take you through some checks over the phone and will either solve the problem, recommend that an engineer visit is required or that you need to seek further assistance from a computer shop. The engineer will be from JT.
What Sure can’t do
Engineers from JT won’t enter your property without prior arrangement with Sure. If during the visit the fault is found to be an internal issue, such as faulty wiring or sockets, you will be asked to pay for the call out. We do need you to confirm you’re happy with this ahead of the appointment being made. A current list of charges can be found here Engineering charges
Whilst we will always do our best to help you, there are still some support issues relating to email and routers that do not fall within the remit of the services provided by Sure (Jersey) Limited. For example, routers that were not supplied by Sure are not supported and we can’t help with sending and receiving emails in Outlook. Should you require assistance with such issues, please contact a reputable computer company such as Tech Supplies*, 18 Sand St, St Helier, JE2 3QF.
What about WiFi?
Sure will help with WiFi issues if the router was provided by Sure, for all other WiFi issues we suggest you contact a reputable computer company such as Tech Supplies* (see above).
WiFi creates a network in your home or office – a little zone where computers can get broadband internet using radio waves, just like a TV or mobile phone. You may hear this zone referred to as a WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network). Your wireless transmitter (router) receives information from the internet via the broadband connection, then converts the information into a radio signal and sends it.
For more information on how it all works click here http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/about-wifi
This is normally fairly reliable, however, if the router fails or if too many people are trying to use the bandwidth applications at the same time, users can experience interference or lose their connections.
*Sure are not affiliated with Tech Supplies in any way and this notice does not constitute a recommendation of their products or services. We accept no liability for any loss, damage, liability, negligence, injury, damage, cost or expense which may arise in connection with any products or services that Tech Supplies may offer.
What can I do to solve any problems I have myself?
Here are some basic checks you can try at home before contacting Sure Technical Support.
Check your equipment
- Make sure the Router is turned on and it has lights.
- Check the router is connected to the telephone line via a microfilter (unless you have a dedicated socket or ONT box for fibre) and that it is plugged into the master socket (usually found where the wires from outside enter the property).
- Try turning the router off and waiting for 60 seconds before turning it back on.
- FIBRE- If you have fibre broadband we recommend turning off the ONT box for 15 minutes to see if that resolves the issue before you report a fault.
Check the telephone Line
- Connect a telephone to the line and listen for a dial tone.
- If you find you have no dial tone or the line has a noise such as hissing or crackling, you will need to report this as aline fault, the phone line has to be fixed and working before any broadband fault can be addressed.
What can I do to improve my internet?
- Check for any software updates for operating systems and apps.
- Make sure your antivirus software is up to date, if not, it can slow things down
- Clear your device’s cookies and cache - Troubleshooting checklist
- Reset your browser - Troubleshooting checklist
- Close any programs/devices you’re not using as they may be slowing it down
- Turn off any older devices – they can reduce your WiFi speed and this might help
What else can I do to improve my WiFi signal?
- It never hurts to try turning the router (and ONT Genexis box for fibre) off and on again after 60 seconds.
- Try to keep your router as free from obstructions as possible. i.e not behind the TV.
- We can try helping by adjusting your router’s wireless channel, like fine tuning a radio station, if the router was supplied by Sure.
- You could try using a wireless booster. This will boost the wireless signal within your property and are available online and in all good computer shops.
- You can also try a higher spec router i.e 5Ghz / Dual band. We now sell these in store but you can buy them from reputable computer shops too.
Other factors inside your house which can affect your speed include:
- The distance, type and quality of the connection between your router and your devices (particularly true for WiFi connections)
- Quality of your phone line inside your house (old wiring and extension cables for example)
- Other devices competing for bandwidth such as cordless phones, baby monitors, oil Master etc.
- The age of your equipment, router or filters.
- Obstructions to the router if it’s behind a TV, near a fish tank, on the carpet.
More information and more details about solving issues and what else Sure can do to help can be found by clicking here.
If you are still experiencing issues after checking all of the above we will arrange for an engineer visit, this may incur charges. You can contact us by phone on 0808 1015247, send a message on our Facebook page, Sure Jersey or by emailing email@example.com.